One of The Sugar Breakup’s friends and staunch fructose free campaigner, Dale, has kindly shared her amazing caramel nut popcorn recipe.
This recipe is so good it would make a great Christmas gift and will appeal to all tastes.
It’s so easy to make; try stopping at just one piece.
- Serves: 20 pieces
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time on stove top: 5-7 minutes
- Cookware: large heavy based saucepan
- Tin: Biscuit baking tray lined with baking paper
2 1/2 cups of unsalted popcorn
1/2 cup The Sugar Breakup Dextrose
1/8 cup The Sugar Breakup Organic Golden Rice Malt Syrup
28 g butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
a pinch of salt
1/8 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3/4 cup toasted nuts (almonds, macadamias, cashews)
Let’s put it together
- Line a biscuit tray with baking paper.
- In a large, heavy based saucepan, place dextrose, rice malt syrup, butter, salt, vanilla and heat on low to medium heat until dextrose has dissolved.
- Turn heat down to low and cook without stirring for 5-7 minutes. Watch for the colour change, indicating caramelisation.
- Stir in baking soda.
- turn the stove off and add nuts and popcorn and stir to coat kernels all over.
- Quickly spread it out onto the lined baking tray and allow to cool and set.
- Break up into chunks-but never too small chunks. You know it’s always a thrill when you come across a super chunk!
Thank you very much Dale. A great recipe!!