These cookies have a really lovely delicate flavour.
So easy to make, and the kids will enjoy creating the Christmas shapes!
- Oven: 170°C (160°C fan forced)
- Pan: 2 cookie trays lined with baking paper
- Makes: 25 cookies
- Baking time: 10-12 minutes
110g softened butter
1/2 cup The Sugar Breakup Rice Malt Syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg lightly beaten
3 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon corn flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
Putting it together
- Using an electric mixer beat the softened butter and rice malt syrup until combined.
- Add the vanilla and egg and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl sift the flour, corn flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Using a spatula add the flour mix to the butter mix a quarter at a time until all mixed together. It will be a soft dough.
- Wrap dough in plastic and put into the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Turn out dough onto a well floured surface and roll out until about 5-6mm thick. It may be easier to break the dough into small usable pieces. I divided mine into 4, and rolled each out one after the other, it seemed more manageable.
- Use your cookie cutters to create your Christmas shapes.
- Place onto baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden in colour.
- Cool on tray for 10 minutes, and then place onto a wire cooling rack.
- Decorate as you like.
Basic White Icing for decoration
1/2 cup The Sugar Breakup Dextrose Powder
1 egg white
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Mix the egg white with a whisk until foamy.
- Add the dextrose to the egg one teaspoon at a time, using the whisk to combine each time.
- Add the lemon juice and gently mix through.
- Use a piping bag with a small opening to decorate.
Some further ideas
- You could put a hole in each cookie, to hang on the Xmas tree on Christmas Day!
- If you want them Christmas spiced, add a teaspoon of mixed spices.
- If you want a chocolate version, take out 1/4 cup of the flour and add 1/4 cup of dark cocoa powder.
- Create smaller biscuits and join them together with a delicious sugar free filling.
- You can add colour to your basic icing.