When you go sugar free one thing you can really miss is ice cream.
But don’t despair!
Pick up an ice cream churner and you will soon discover that ice cream is incredibly easy to make, requires very few ingredients and definitely doesn’t need all those additives you see on the side of the tub.
- Makes: about 700 mls
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Pan size: medium saucepan for the stove top
300 ml thickened full fat cream
400 ml can of coconut milk
½ cup The Sugar Breakup Dextrose
½ cup desiccated coconut
What, ice cream in 4 ingredients? Absolutely!
So how is it done?
- Combine cream, coconut milk and dextrose in a saucepan. Cook gently on a medium to low heat stirring regularly for 5-8 minutes, do not boil
- Place mixture in a bowl and allow to cool either by placing in the fridge (the slow way, takes an hour or two) or by placing the mixture in a metal bowl and sitting that bowl in a larger bowl of ice water and stirring (the fast way, takes 5-10 minutes)
- Once cool add desiccated coconut and pour into ice cream churner
- Churn until it looks like soft serve ice cream (Mr Whippy anyone?)
- Scrape into a container with a lid and freeze
Need some extra help?
The cream looks like it has split!
Sorry to say you have probably boiled it. Say goodbye to that batch of cream and start again. It happens to the best of us, remember to be gentle with the heat.
My ice cream is a bit hard…
Homemade ice cream can be firmer then shop bought ice cream but if you take it out of the freezer 10 minutes before tucking in then it softens up perfectly for serving.