We love a delicious tradition style cake and they don’t come much better than this butterscotch banana cake. The cake is gorgeous on its own or you can add the delicious and decadent cheese frosting.
- Makes: 8 slices
- Oven Temp: 170C (160C fan forced)
- Baking Dish: 20cm round cake tin lined with baking paper
1 cup (150g) self raising flour
1/4 cup (40g)of The Sugar Breakup Dextrose Powder
100ml macadamia oil (can use olive oil)
1/4 cup (50g) The Sugar Breakup Golden Rice Malt Syrup
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 ripe bananas (240-245g when mashed)
- Preheat the oven to 170C (160C fan forced) and prepare the cake tin.
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate soda, salt and cinnamon together.
- Beat the dextrose and eggs until they’re light and fluffy. Takes between 5-10mins.
- Go to the slowest beater setting and slowly add the rice malt syrup followed by the oil.
- Next sift the dry ingredients into the wet mix and using a spatula gently mix together until just mixed. Then add in the mashed bananas and gently mix together.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake for 30-35mins. Leave in cake tin for 5 mins then turn out on to wire rack and cool. Once cooled add frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
120g softened cream cheese
30g softened butter
30g The Sugar Breakup Golden Rice Malt Syrup
1/2 cup of The Sugar Breakup Dextrose Powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat the cream cheese, butter, rice malt syrup and vanilla until pale.
- Then add the dextrose and beat until combined. Pipe on to the cooled banana cake and enjoy.
Made this last week. Was very popular with friends and family!! :D Super easy to follow recipe and absolutely delicious cake, can’t wait to try it out on my workmates.
That’s great Dawn, one of our favourites and we too find it very popular with family and friends!
Cant wait try this one it looks ace!
BTW Thanks so much for putting the weights in grams! Really helps!
Can it be frozen in slices for another time?
Great question, sorry to say we haven’t tried freezing. The cake would freeze fine and I’ve done a bit of searching on the cream cheese frosting. By all accounts that freezes well too. Best to thaw in the fridge or at room temp and the frosting my sweat slightly but due to the high fat content it is perfect for freezing. Happy baking! Julia
Best recipe EVER!!! This has very quickly become a family fave, thanks :)
the cake looks moist and delish :)