When I watch competition cooking shows I’m inspired to make my version of whatever was made for dessert. So this week I made a simple apple pie for two.
I hope you’re inspired to try it yourself.
First you make the pastry.
- Oven: 170°C (160C fan forced)
- Baking dish: shallow pie dish
- Makes: 2 serves
- Baking time: 25mins
Ingredients for Pastry
1/4 cup of self raising flour
3/4 cup of plain flour
85g cold butter
2 tablespoons of The Sugar Breakup Dextrose
1 teaspoon milk
Ingredients for Apple Filling
1/2 cup water
2 large green apples
1 tablespoon of The Sugar Breakup Dextrose
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
Putting it together
- Rub both flours and butter together until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Add the egg, dextrose and milk until the pastry forms. Roll into a ball, wrap in plastic and put it into the fridge for 30mins. Preheat the oven 170C (160C fan forced).
- Now make the apple filling. Skin the apple and cut into thin slices. Place the apples, dextrose, cinnamon and water into a small pot and bring to the boil. Then simmer apples for about 6mins or until they have started to soften. Set aside until pastry is ready.
- Line the pie dish with butter. Divide the pastry into two and keep the other half for a second pie for another night or make double the apple mix and make a pie for four. Roll out a pastry lid for the pie. Place the Apple mix directly into the pie dish and then put on pastry lid. Use excess to make a curly pie margin. Cut a slit.
- Place into the oven 25 minutes or until it looks golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream, custard or good old yummy cream.
- You can use two ramekins. Divide apple mix into each ramekin and place a pastry lid on each. Bake as normal.
- You can add 1/4 teaspoon of cloves to the apple mix.
Tips and Hints