We love a warm pudding & here is a gorgeous creamy rice pudding that is easy to make, is gluten free & absolutely delicious.
This is the basic vanilla recipe. You can add so many different elements & flavours, depending on what’s in your pantry & what tickles your fancy. In this batch we added cinnamon, strawberries, blueberries, almond slivers & pistachios.
Can be eaten at anytime of the day. We have been eating it for dessert, breakfast & as a snack. Thermomix instructions included. Enjoy!
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time: 15 mins
860g of any kind of cooked rice
3 1/2 cups (850g) full cream milk (could use coconut milk, rice milk or nut milk if you want dairy free)
1/3 cup (120g) The Sugar Breakup Golden Rice Malt Syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs – this is optional. It gives a creamier texture when added
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cook the rice.
- In a large saucepan place the cooked rice, 2 1/2 cups of milk (600g), The Sugar Breakup Golden Rice Malt Syrup & salt. Cook for 10-15 mins on a gentle heat making sure you stir it regularly so it doesn’t burn. You want it to become creamy like a risotto.
- Then whisk in the remaining milk 1 cup (250g), vanilla & eggs(optional) and cook for another 5 mins. Making sure you keep stirring regularly.
- Eat immediately & add what toppings you’d enjoy or keep in fridge (once cooled) to eat later.
- Put the cooked rice, The Sugar Breakup Golden Rice Malt Syrup, salt & 600g of the milk into the Thermomix bowl. Cook for 15mins/90C/reverse cycle/Speed 2.
- Place the thermomix butterfly & add the remaining milk (250g), eggs(optional) & vanilla and mix 3sec/reverse cycle/speed 3. Then cook 5mins/90C/reverse cycle/Speed 2.
- Enjoy immediately & add whatever toppings you’d like or keep it in the fridge for another time.
When the pudding is taken off the heat it can seem a little runny. Don’t worry, it thickens up very quickly.
When stirring the rice pudding you want to make sure it doesn’t stick to the saucepan and doesn’t form a skin. You want it to look like a risotto consistency at the end.
This can also be vegan friendly by not using the eggs and by replacing the milk with coconut, rice or nut milks.