I LOVE quinoa for breakfast. I make quinoa porridge in bulk and keep it in serving sizes in the freezer for an easy, healthy breakfast for the kids when time is short.
Recently a friend put me onto the idea of baking quinoa for breakfast, how could I not give it a go with J’adore Raw’s Organic Black Quinoa! Simple, delicious and another way to get a good protein hit in the morning.
Makes: 2 serves
Oven temp: 160C
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
Pans: 2 oven proof bowls or mini casserole dishes
½ cup J’adore Raw Organic Quinoa (I used black, you could also use white)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup full fat milk
2 tbs The Sugar Breakup Organic Golden Rice Malt Syrup (could also use Dextrose)
½ cup frozen berries
½ apple or pear, cored, and chopped into small pieces
2 tbs coarsely chopped J’adore Raw organic almonds or walnuts (or both)
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Place quinoa in a sieve and rinse in cold running water.
- Divide quinoa evenly between mini casserole dishes, sprinkle with cinnamon and stir to coat.
- In a bowl place the egg, milk and Golden Rice Malt Syrup. Whisk until combined.
- Pour evenly between casserole dishes and gently mix with quinoa.
- Chop nuts and apple (or pear) into bite size chunks.
- Scatter nuts, apple (or pear) and berries over quinoa and egg mix.
- Pop in the oven for 30-40 minutes until just set (ok if it’s still a little wobbly like baked custard).
- Enjoy warm from the oven, or cold from the fridge. This dish also reheats well in the microwave so can be made the night before and quickly reheated for breakfast.
And don’t forget to enter our Get Your Bake-on competition here>> http://bit.ly/WIN_TSBU. Less than 2 weeks to go to show us your best recipes and photos using dextrose or rice malt syrup. Be quick! Entries close 17th August 2014.