Since going fructose free do you miss “Milo”? There’s many different recipes online, but as always, The Sugar Breakup Team believes simple is best.
Here’s a great recipe that’s easy to make, fructose friendly and will really satisfy. Drink it hot or cold, it’s truly delicious!
- Prep time: Same time it takes for your kettle to boil
- Difficulty: very easy
- Serves: 1 – once you see the recipe you’ll realise you can make as many as you like at the same time
Ingredients for 1 serve
1 tablespoon The Sugar Breakup Organic Golden Rice Malt Syrup
1 tablespoon full cream milk powder
1 tablespoon cocoa (can use cacao or Dutch processed cocoa)
1 ½ teaspoons malt extract
¼ teaspoon vanilla powder
Full cream milk
Lets make it
- Put the kettle on with enough water to make the number of hot drinks you need.
- Grab a good sized coffee mug.
- Whilst kettle is boiling place the rice malt syrup, full cream milk powder, cocoa, vanilla powder and malt extract.
- If making more than one drink then do the same for as many mugs as you need.
- Once kettle is boiled cover the ingredients with hot water and stir until it all dissolves into a yummy chocolate syrup.
- There’s three ways you can go from step 5:
A) add some more hot water to about 3/4 full and then add full cream milk
B) add warmed full cream milk
C) add cold full cream milk to enjoy as a refreshing cold drink
Hints and Tips
- You can make your own vanilla powder, look out for our next post on “how to”.
- Don’t have vanilla powder? Use vanilla extract instead.
- Malt extract does have a tiny amount of fructose. This is what the author of “Sweet Poison” David Gillespie has to say about it.
- To get the real taste of Milo, we used a lighter coloured sugar free cocoa powder. But it will still be delicious with cacao or a Dutch dark cocoa powder. It’s up to your taste buds to decide.
Thanks for the recipe, we’ll have to give it a try.
We use 3 heaped tsps Nestle Malted Milk and 1 level tsp cocoa in a cup of milk and that is pretty close too. I usually add 1 tsp dextrose powder but my hubby has it without.
Just wondering where you buy malt extract and vanilla powder? Thanks
Dear Kate, I purchased the malt extract from Woolworths. It’s called Saunders malt extract and its a liquid. You can either make the vanilla powder which is on our website under recipes tab in the “how to” section here’s the link http://bit.ly/1tXEjwI or you can purchase it from health food stores. Hope that helps. The milo recipe is delicious. Fiona