Fructose free, gluten free, lactose free and vegan. Have you tried our amazing Spicy Coconut Chips? So easy to make, this savoury treat can be eaten as a snack or added to any dish to give a lovely smoky bacon taste, without the meat!
- Makes: 2 cups of spicy coconut chips
- Prep time: 25mins
- Difficulty: Very easy
- Requires: Biscuit tray
2 cups of coconut chips
1 tablespoon of The Sugar Breakup Organic Golden Rice Malt Syrup
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon smoky paprika
1 1/2 tablespoons of tamari
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
Sprinkle of sea salt
Coconut oil for greasing
Putting it together
- Preheat the oven to 115C (110C fan forced). Place baking paper on the biscuit tray and put a thin layer of coconut oil to stop the flakes sticking during baking.
- Put the coconut flakes into a mixing bowl.
- Mix the paprika, tamari, golden rice malt syrup, water and Tabasco sauce. Then pour the mix onto the coconut flakes and gently mix until all flakes are covered.
- Spread the mix gently onto the baking tray and place in oven 15-20 mins. You must check it every 5 mins and mix it slightly to make sure all the flakes cook evenly. In the last five mins you need to check it more often as it can burn easily.
- Remove tray from the oven and allow to cool. The chips will continue to crisp.
- Sprinkle salt for a slightly salty taste.
- Enjoy in salads, sandwiches, inside fresh dates, sandwiches, omelettes etc. Endless ways to use them.
Tips and hints
- Once stored the chips can last a week in a air tight container. They may soften a little, so place under a hot grill for 1-2 mins to crisp up again.
- No tamari in your pantry? Use soy sauce instead.
- If your coconut oil is set, melt 1 tablespoon to make it an oil and place onto the baking paper just before putting on coconut flake mix.
- Experiment with different spices and flavoured sugar free sauces for your favourite taste.