Looking for an easy dessert to impress guests and family? Pears are delicious at the moment (Autumn, Australia) and we are using them in many of our winter desserts. It can even be gluten free! We are obsessed with all things hot, seasonal and dairy in winter, so enjoy our glorious combination.
- Serves: 8
- Dish: 23cm (9 inch) pie dish
- Oven temp: 170°C (160°C fan forced)
- Difficulty: easy
- Time: 45 mins
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cups of thickened cream
1/3 cup The Sugar Breakup Dextrose
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons plain flour (or cornflour for glutenfree)
2 pears, sliced
Sprinkle of frozen berries (about 1/4 cup)
Putting it together
- Turn the oven onto 170°C (160°C fan forced). Grease your pie dish.
- Place dextrose, eggs, cream and vanilla in a bowl and beat until frothy.
- Sift in the flour and whisk till smooth.
- Pour 2/3 into the pie dish and bake for 5 to 7 minutes. You want the custard cream to be just set on the top.
- Cut and core the pears into even slices whilst baking first custard cream layer.
- Remove pie dish from oven and spread pears on top.
- Pour the remaining custard cream on top of the pears and sprinkle some frozen berries (we used raspberries) over the top.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy
Tips and hints
- If you like your fruit softer you can bake the sliced pears at the very start for 5 minutes in the oven. We drizzle The Sugar Breakup Organic Golden Rice Malt Syrup to keep them moist during baking.
- You can use any seasonal fruit. Peaches, plums, nectarines would also be delicious.
- If using apples you could add a half teaspoon of cinnamon.
- To make this recipe gluten free exchange the plain flour for 1 ½ tablespoons of pure cornflour.