These little coconut biscuits with jam and a buttercream are absolutely delicious.
And there are many recipe variations you can use to make them even easier; check out our tips below.
- Makes: 20 biscuits
- Time: 1.5 hours
- Tray: biscuit tray
- Oven temp: 175°C (170°C fan forced)
- Baking Time: 10 mins
75g butter, softened
1/3 cup The Sugar Breakup Organic Golden Rice Malt Syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
3/4 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1 batch of The Sugar Breakup Jam made with The Sugar Breakup Golden Rice Malt Syrup. Classic Monte Carlo biscuits have a raspberry flavoured jam but you can make a jam using any fruit you have at home.
40g butter, softened
1/2 cup The Sugar Breakup Dextrose
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Putting it together
- Make a batch of jam with golden rice malt syrup.
- Prepare two biscuits trays lined with baking paper and turn oven on to 175°C (170°C fan forced).
- Using an electric beater cream the butter, golden rice malt syrup and vanilla, until light and creamy.
- Beat in the egg until combined.
- Sift in the plain flour and self raising flour, and mix with a spatula.
- Fold in the coconut with the spatula.
- Roll the mixture into 40 small balls. The sizing is a heaped teaspoon (10g).
- Place onto the biscuit trays a couple of centimetres apart to allow for expansion.
- Flatten slightly with a fork.
- Bake for 10 mins until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on baking tray for 5 mins, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Make the buttercream using an electric beater by mixing the butter, dextrose and vanilla extract. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Once all elements are cooled, place buttercream on one biscuit and jam on the other and then join biscuits together.
Tips and hints
Don’t have time to make all the elements? Need a quick treat to feed visiting guests or the kids?
- Instead of buttercream, use whipped cream.
- Instead of jam, use fresh berries with either the buttercream or fresh cream.
- Just eat the biscuits plain and on their own, they’re a delicious morsel of coconut goodness!