We know you love old favourites done sugar free so we couldn’t resist testing out bread & butter pudding with leftover hot cross buns!
You can also make this recipe using leftover bread or our brioche. Such a classic with delicious results.
- Serves: 8
- Oven temp: 180°C (160°C fan forced)
- Cook time: approximately 60 minutes
- Pan: 2 litre pudding or baking dish
6 Hot Cross buns cut in half (or approx. 8 to 10 slices of bread)
1 litre milk
¼ cup The Sugar Breakup Organic Golden Rice Malt Syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 apple (optional)
Butter for spreading on hot cross buns (or bread)
Nutmeg for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced) and lightly grease your pudding dish.
- Cut the hot cross buns in half (or bread into triangles) and spread with butter.
- Layer the hot cross buns/bread in your baking dish so they overlap.
- Cut your apple into quarters, remove the core (leave the skin on) then thinly slice.
- Insert the slices of apple between the layers of hot cross buns/bread.
- Crack eggs into a large bowl, add vanilla and golden rice malt syrup. Using an electric mixer whisk the eggs whilst slowly adding the milk for 1 to 2 minutes until everything is well combined.
- Pour mixture over hot cross buns/bread.
- Generously sprinkle nutmeg on top.
- Pop in the oven and cook for around 60 minutes or until custard has just set and pudding is golden brown.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream, (find our recipe here).
Bread & butter pudding can be done many ways, here’s some other options:
- Instead of apple slices add ½ a cup of frozen berries.
- If you have any leftover Golden Rice Malt Syrup Jam then leave the apple slices out and spread the hot cross buns/bread with jam to add additional flavour.
- Throw in a handful of diced walnuts, pecans or sliced almonds.
- For an adult twist add 2 tablespoons of brandy to your egg and milk mix.