We’re always keen to experiment with coconut flour as we love having more gluten free recipes up our sleeve. Cooking with it is different to traditional flour as it is highly absorbent, but once you get the hang of it, the results are absolutely delicious. Here’s a super quick recipe that you can either make as a loaf or muffins.
Makes: 1 loaf (or 12 standard muffins)
Oven temp: 180C (160C fan forced)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40-50 minutes
Pan size: loaf pan (approx. 21cm x 11cm)
1/2 cup (56g/2oz) coconut flour loosely packed, sifted
1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
4 large eggs*
1/3 cup The Sugar Breakup Organic Golden Rice Malt Syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan forced), grease and line sides of loaf pan (or 12 hole muffin tin).
- In a large bowl combine eggs, golden rice malt syrup, coconut oil, lemon zest and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.
- Sift coconut flour, bicarbonate soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon onto wet ingredients and whisk all together.
- Leave the mixture to sit for a couple of minutes on the bench for the coconut flour to absorb the wet ingredients.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan (or muffin tin).
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out with just some moist crumbs when inserted in the loaf. Turn onto wire rack to cool. If cooking as muffins bake for 15-20 minutes.
*Eggs – coconut flour is like a sponge, it really soaks up moisture. We always use large eggs (700g per dozen carton). If you only have small eggs use 5 instead of 4 in this recipe.
If using frozen blueberries do not defrost them just add them to the mixture frozen as they will defrost as the loaf cooks.
This is a great gluten free option that can be taken to school as it does not contain nuts or nut meal. Simply slice and freeze.