Lemon slice is a classic recipe that is so easy to make with biscuits and condensed milk, but so much refined sugar is involved. Making these sugar free can be take a while because you have to make the biscuits and milk yourself.
So The Sugar Breakup has created this lemon truffle to give you all the flavours of a lemon slice — but its gluten free, vegan, dairy free, egg free, fructose free and extremely easy to make.
- Level of Difficulty: very easy
- Makes: 20 truffles
- Prep time: 5 mins
70g shredded coconut
Plus extra shredded coconut for rolling truffles
80g blanched almonds
juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup of coconut oil
1/3 cup The Sugar Breakup Organic Golden Rice Malt Syrup
- Put all of the above ingredients into a food processor. Blitz for 30sec or until all the nuts are turned into meal and it all sticks together.
- You can also use a Thermomix. Put all the ingredients into the Thermomix mix for 10sec speed 4 and then 10sec speed 6.
- Scrape down the sides of your food processor or Thermomix and mix for a few more seconds to make sure it’s consistent. The mixture has a wet look and feel, but you will be able to roll it in your hands.
- Roll teaspoon size balls in the extra shredded coconut and store in the freezer. When eating take out of freezer for a couple of minutes to soften before taking a delicious bite.
*You can use another nut instead of hazelnut such as macadamias, cashew etc. You can use desiccated, shredded or flaked coconut. Use whatever is in the pantry.
This worked really well put into silicone chocolate moulds with a spatula then in the freezer. No mess method! Tasted great. Need to make another batch, all eaten.
Thanks Carolyn, great tip! xx
Excellent ladies, thank you. Looks like I can eat this one :)