- Difficulty level: easy
- Makes: about 30 fritters
- Cooking time: 2 to 3 minutes per fritter
- Cooking pot: Medium fry pan with sides
3 small green apples cored and skin on (we use Granny Smiths)
The juice of two lemons
1 cup of plain flour
1 tablespoon The Sugar Breakup Dextrose
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
Pinch of salt
1 cup cold water
250g lard for frying
The Sugar Breakup Golden Rice Malt Syrup for taste and decoration
Cinnamon powder for taste and decoration
Time to cook
- Core the apples and cut discs of about 5mm in width, dip in lemon juice
- Skin the bananas and cut into bite size pieces, dip in lemon juice
- Sift the flour, dextrose, bicarbonate soda and salt into a bowl
- Add the water in one thirds, whisking well between each addition. The batter should look smooth and thick.
- In a medium fry pan with sides, melt and heat the lard
- Coat the fruit in the batter in batches
- Once lard is heated (about 180C) place 4-5 pieces of fruit and shallow fry for 1-2 minutes on each side. Complete in batches until all the fruit has been cooked.
- Serve with rice malt syrup drizzled over the top and cinnamon sprinkle on top. Eat with The sugar Breakup vanilla ice cream.
- Test the lard with one piece of fruit. If it browns in a few seconds, it’s too hot. You want the fritters to take between 2- 4 minutes to cook so the fruit will soften.
- You could use thin pieces of pineapple
- You can dust with dextrose
- You can use other oils, but we prefer lard after reading David Gillespie’s book “Toxic Oil”
- Best eaten immediately and warm