Have a fair shake of the sauce bottle at your Aussie Day barbeque with our sugar free tomato sauce. The sharpness of traditional tomato sauce comes from the apple cider vinegar and the sweetness from The Sugar Breakup Organic Golden Rice Malt Syrup. We want to make sure that being sugar free doesn’t mean you miss out on old favourites so get the sausages on the barbie!
Makes: About 1 cup
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
Pan: Medium Saucepan
½ a brown onion (or 1 small whole onion) finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 ½ cups of tomato passata/puree*
¼ cup The Sugar Breakup Organic Golden Rice Malt Syrup
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon of paprika (or could use cayenne pepper)
1 teaspoon salt
Pinch of ground cloves
- Place saucepan on the stovetop over a medium heat, add olive oil, finely chopped onion and crushed garlic.
- Lightly fry onion and garlic until the onion is translucent. (just before it starts to brown).
- Add tomato passata, Golden Rice Malt Syrup, apple cider vinegar, paprika, salt and ground cloves and mix to combine.
- Bring to the boil then reduce heat so the sauce gently bubbles with the lid off.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce reduces and starts to thicken.
- When the sauce looks like tomato sauce consistency turn the heat off and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour your sauce into a blender or food processor and blend until a smooth.
- Store in the fridge in an air tight container and fire up the barbie.
If you don’t have any tomato passata/puree you can use a 410g can of tin tomatoes. Pour tin into the blender, blitz until smooth and use exactly the same as the passata. The sauce maybe slightly more chunky (only slightly) but still delicious.