Full of protein, delicious and filling this is a perfect way to start the day.
- Makes: 4 serves
- Prep time: 25 mins
- Pot: small to medium stove saucepan with lid
- Serve: hot or cold
- Fridge: up to 2 days in the fridge, can be frozen
1 cup of well rinsed quinoa
2 cups of full cream milk
3 tablespoons of The Sugar Breakup Golden Rice Malt Syrup
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Make sure quinoa has been well rinsed. Place quinoa and milk into saucepan and bring to the boil. Once boiled turn down the heat and simmer for 15 mins. Stir occasionally to stop quinoa from sticking or clumping.
- Add the rice malt syrup and cinnamon and simmer for a further 5-8 mins. You want the quinoa to absorb 80% of the milk. Stir occasionally.
- Eat immediately or you can place in the fridge or freezer.
- Serve with fruit, coconut shavings, chopped nuts etc. whatever flavour you’d like to enjoy.
Tips and Hints
- Quinoa porridge freezes really well, so you can make it in bulk. Freeze in a large silicon muffin trays. It defrosts in the microwave in 2 minutes.
- We’ve used white quinoa in this photo. Quinoa comes in many colours, select whichever one you like best.
- You can change the flavour. Don’t add the cinnamon and create other flavours such as 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon of coconut essence, 1/2 teaspoon of combined pumpkin spices etc. this breakfast can have many different flavours, chose which one you like best.
- You can add fruit when you add the rice malt syrup for a stewed effect. Add another 1/2 cup of milk at this stage and boil for 8-10 minutes
- When serving you can add more milk, cinnamon, rice malt syrup, fruit etc for taste. In our photo we’ve used banana, hazelnuts and a small drizzle of rice malt syrup.
I jus sent this to four of my fb pages, however I can not find where to subscribe ….ah found it!
Thanks for sharing the recipe. Fiona
That looks delicious. We had quinoa for dinner tonight – might have it for breakfast tomorrow too!
Dear Marianne, definitely give it a go. I devoured this above bowl once the pictures were taken. It was really delicious warm. I’m going to feed the remainder of it to the family, warmed up for breakfast tomorrow. Fiona