Rum balls have been on our Christmas table for as long as we can remember.
As kids we had the habit of eating a pile of them before Christmas lunch often feeling too full to fit in any lunch!
These Rum Balls are incredibly easy to make.
If they have been a Christmas tradition for your family, then here’s a sugar free version so you don’t have to miss out (just don’t eat them all before lunch).
- Makes: 30
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Refrigeration time: 60 minutes
250g of Basic Christmas Cookie (find our recipe here)
1 cup of homemade Condensed milk
1 cup desiccated coconut
¼ cup cocoa
¼ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
2 tablespoons of rum (or brandy)
½ – 1 cup of extra coconut for rolling
Condensed Milk (makes approximately 1 cup)
1/3 cup water
½ cup The Sugar Breakup Dextrose
1 cup full cream milk powder
- Place the butter, water and The Sugar Breakup Dextrose in a small saucepan over a low to medium heat.
- Stirring whilst dextrose and butter is melting until the mixture boils.
- Remove from the heat and using a whisk slowly add the milk powder, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking after each addition until the milk powder is incorporated and you have condensed milk.
- Leave to cool.
- Crush up biscuits in a food processor until they are coarse crumbs.
- In a bowl combine biscuit crumbs, 1 cup desiccated coconut, walnuts, cocoa, rum and condensed milk
- Stir until combined, mixture will be thick and slightly sticky.
- Place your extra coconut on a separate plate ready to drop balls for coating.
- Wet your hands with water, break off about a tablespoon of mixture, roll into a ball, place in extra coconut and toss around until ball is coated.
- Place coated balls on an additional plate or tray. When all are coated place rums balls in the fridge to chill for about an hour.
For some reason we called these rum balls, but we have always made them from brandy!?! Choose the spirit you enjoy most, or you can just leave it out altogether.
Hi there, so excited to have a sugarfree condensed milk recipe now! Does one batch of your cookies make approx 250g? Sorry if I missed this mentioned somewhere just wanted to check before I attempted the yum yum balls as I call them (without rum)
Dear Jess, thanks for the question. Our cookie recipe actually makes more than the 250g you need for the rum balls. You could make a half batch of the Christmas cookies and that would make almost 250g perfectly. I also did them without the rum. I just love the chocolate/coconut flavour. My mum used contreau. Let us know how they go.
This year I made homemade condensed milk for my rum halls from whole milk as I have read that the way milk powder is made oxidises the cholesterol and this is bad. They worked great and I found the recipe on google. Simply low simmer the milk and dextrose for 1-2 hours until it reduces.
Thanks for the tip.