We’ve also noticed spiced nuts at the shops can be quite expensive. These nuts can make a fantastic gift wrapped in a bit of cellophane and ribbon. Have friends think you’ve slaved away on a handmade gift when they actually took only minutes to make!
- Makes: 4 cups of nuts
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 10-15 minutes
- Pan: Baking tray
2 tablespoons The Sugar Breakup Organic Golden Rice Malt Syrup
2 tablespoons coconut oil (could use olive oil)
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/4 teaspoon crushed dried chilli
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 ½ teaspoons salt flakes (add a little more if you like your nuts salty)
1 cup almond kernels
1 cup unsalted cashew nuts
1 cup unsalted macadamia nuts
1 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven 180°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Place all the nuts in a large bowl.
- Combine Rice Malt Syrup, coconut oil, garlic, chilli powder, paprika and salt flakes in a small pan over low heat. Stir until rice malt syrup and coconut oil have melted.
- Pour the spice mix over the nuts and stir until they are evenly coated and sticky with spice mixture.
- Spread spice covered nuts on the lined baking tray. Bake for 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Remove and set aside to cool completely. They may stick together a little so you can break them up.
We used almonds, walnuts, macadamias and cashews but you can use any nut you like (or have in the house), they are all delicious in this spicy mixture.
Keep an eye on your nuts! Nuts can easily burn in the oven so check them regularly and toss them around to ensure even cooking.