This recipe is really delicious and sweet, full of pumpkin spices that make this pie very more-ish.
We made up our own pumpkin mash (it’s so easy).
But you can also buy a tinned pumpkin mash at specialty stores — just make sure you get the sugar free version!
- Serves: 8
- Oven temperature: 180°C (170°C if using fan forced)
- Baking time: 10 minutes (for pastry) – 40 minutes (for pie)
First Step is making The Sugar Breakup Sweet Pastry:
This pastry is easy and could be used in any sweet pie dish.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Resting time: 1 hour
- Cook time: 10 minutes of blind baking
- Oven Temperature: 180C
- Baking dish: 23cm glass pie dish
250g plain flour
110g The Sugar Breakup Dextrose
110g cold butter, cubed
1 large egg at room temperature (lightly mix with a fork)
Putting the pastry together
- In a bowl mix the flour and dextrose powder together.
- Add the cubed butter to the flour mixture and rub the butter in with your hands until the mixture has the texture of breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre and add the egg and mix with your hands until it all comes together. Don’t over mix the pastry, you just want it to come together into a ball.
- Cover in plastic cling wrap and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Take pastry out of the fridge and roll on a powdered surface (plain flour). We roll it out on a piece of baking paper.
- Butter the baking dish surface and line it with the pastry. Remove the excess pieces with a pair of scissors and place back into the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Put the oven onto 180C.
- Remove pastry from fridge and place a piece of baking paper over the top and fill with rice to do a blind-bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and carefully remove the rice and baking paper, ready for the filling to be placed.
- Turn the oven temperature up to 200C.
When making the pastry you can prepare your pie filling when the pastry is resting.
Second step is making The Sugar Breakup Pumpkin Pie Filling:
2 cups pumpkin puree (steam 500g peeled pumpkin until soft, then puree). We used a Kent (also known as a Jap) pumpkin in this dish.
1 1/2 cups thickened cream, plus extra to serve
150g The Sugar Breakup Golden Rice Malt Syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon allspice
This is the easy part.
- Put the cooled pumpkin purée, cream, rice malt syrup, eggs and spices into a food processor and mix until smooth. It will be a liquid mix (custard consistency).
- Pour the mixture into the blind baked pastry and place into the oven.
- Cook at 200C for 10 minutes and then drop temperature to 150C and bake for another 25-30 minutes.
- Cool in the baking tray for 10 minutes and then serve with cream and drizzled rice malt syrup.
The pastry can also be made in a food processor.
- Place the flour and dextrose into the blender and pulse for a few seconds until mixed well.
- Add the cubed butter and pulse lightly until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg and pulse until the batter forms a ball shape. Be careful not to overmix, otherwise pasty will have the texture of leather when cooked.