Once you are sugar free you will discover how easy ice cream is to make and how much more delicious it is than ice cream from the store.
- Makes: about 1.1 litres
- Cooking time: 10 to 20 minutes
- Pan size: medium saucepan for the stove top
2 cups (500mls) full fat milk
1 cup The Sugar Breakup Dextrose
4 egg yolks
500 mls thickened cream
1 vanilla pod or 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla powder or 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
So how is it done?
- Split open vanilla pod, scrap out seeds and place seeds and pod in saucepan.
- Add milk, egg yolks and dextrose to the saucepan. Cook gently on a medium to low heat stirring regularly for 5-8 minutes, do not boil. Remove vanilla pod.
- Place mixture in a bowl and allow to cool either by placing in the fridge (the slow way, takes an hour or two) or by placing the mixture in a metal bowl and sitting that bowl in a larger bowl of ice water and stirring ice cream mix (the fast way, takes 5-10 minutes).
- Once cool add cream & stir until combined.
- Pour into ice cream churner.
- Churn until it looks like soft serve ice cream.
- Scrape into a container with a lid and freeze.
- Add vanilla, The Sugar Breakup Dextrose, milk and egg yolks to the Thermomix. Cook for 7 minutes, 80C, speed 4.
- Continue from point 3 above.
What if you don’t have an ice cream churner?
You can still make ice cream, it just takes a bit more effort.
Once you have chilled the custard mix & stirred in the cream place the mix in a deep baking dish or bowl, something that is durable, and can be frozen (like plastic or stainless steel). Place dish in the freezer for about 45 minutes. When you can see ice crystals forming around the edge remove the dish from the freezer & beat the custard. This can be done with electric beaters, a stick blender or whisk, the aim is to incorporate air. Return the custard to the freezer and repeat beating every 30 minutes for the next 2 to 3 hours.